Sunday, November 9, 2008

Looking for a unique gift or just something different?



With Christmas just around the corner, I always have those couple of people on my list that are hard to buy for. Well a couple of years ago, I heard about the Trappist Monks who live at the nearby Abbey Of Gethsemani. They have a gift shop on the grounds and even have a website where you can order some of their unique products. From Fruit cakes to cheese and fudge, there is something for everyone on your list. They also have jellies and jams and different butter spreads as well as coffee from the Venezuela Monestery where the monks grow this in the Andes Mountains.The gift shop also includes stoneware pieces as well as lots of books and religious items so if you have time and enjoy places off the beaten path, this is one place you don't want to miss.

I recently visited with my friend Birgit and we enjoyed the quietness of the grounds and of course brought home some cheeses. My favorite is the Aged variety and definately is something that keeps me traveling those back roads to Trappist Kentucky a couple times a year. You can visit the website for the gift shop at http://www.gethsemanifarms.org or visit their regular website at www.monks.org to learn more about this unique place. The photos here are ones I have taken durning visits to the Abbey.

No comments: