Thursday, September 18, 2008

Collecting Caps for Cancer RETRACTION!

Ok, so I got to thinking about the email I sent out about a week ago about collecting water bottle caps for cancer and wondered if it was too good to be true.
This idea came to me via my daughter's school where they announced a girl attending U of L who had cancer and was collecting the caps to help defer the cost of her chemo treatments. I thought it was a great idea so I brought it up to the office. Of course everyone was eager to help and had enlisted their families too, but after doing some hunting online, I found the info to be misleading. I called the school to see if I could verify the girls name and where she was receiving cancer treatment in hopes that we could continue collections, but after they did some investigating they too found nothing concrete to support that collecting the caps would indeed be accepted for treatments. So, it is with much sadness that we will no longer be collecting caps for cancer and in the future will try to do my investigating well before publishing a "grand idea" and getting everyone involved. What a shame that someone would even come up with an idea like this and it not be true. The children at the school will also be disappointed when they find out this was not true. They had already collected a substantial number of caps and now there is no place to donate them.

No comments: